Divorce and Separation

Divorce and Separation

Only married couples can obtain a divorce under Ontario law. Common law couples undergo separation. However, married couples can also separate, if they live separately and apart, and they don’t formally obtain a divorce.

Couples who separate can obtain spousal support, child support, and custody and access remedies. Married couples do not need to divorce to obtain an equalization of family property. Actually, married spouses have a two year limitation period in which to bring a claim for property division, after obtaining a divorce. They have a longer, 6 year limitation period, if they remain married but separated.

Learn more about the rights to which common law couples are entitled.

Married and common law couples are each entitled to:
Spousal Support
Child Support
Child Custody and Access

Only married couples are entitled to matrimonial property division

Our family lawyers are here to help you with your divorce or separation.

Contact us to obtain a family lawyer to represent you and to uphold your legal rights.